Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hostess Gifts

Apologies for not having blogged in a while--it's been a crazy few weeks!

What could be a nicer way to say "thank you, this was great, hope to do it again sometime"? Something small and appropriate to show appreciate is always nice to present to your host/hostess. But just what exactly is appropriate?

Typically, you will know your host. If you're going as a guest with your significant other, you may not--but at least one of you will know them. Ladies--in my experience, this gift is usually up to you. If you don't know the couple, a bottle of wine is always (well, usually) appreciated. If you know the couple and are friendly with them, something specific to them shows you put thought into it.

Over the holidays, for instance, some good friends of mine (who are engaged) had a holiday party at their apartment. Knowing the couple, knowing they got engaged in Italy and their love for anything Italian, I brought them a small bottle of Limoncello, wrapped up in a small Christmas stocking. They loved it, and it made for (what I think) is a nice token of appreciation to say "thanks for inviting us into your home, I really do appreciate it."

Now, this is where I need your help. In 10 days, I will be leaving for Europe for 2 weeks. When visiting I will be staying with friends and their families. I am trying to think of ideas of items to bring to their families to say thank you for welcoming me into your home for 4 days. I will be staying with families in Portugal, France, Denmark & The Netherlands, and would like to bring them something American-ized (I toyed with the idea of Twinkies, but vetoed that idea pretty quickly). Has anyone ever traveled to these countries and stayed with families and brought a host gift? I am up for any and all ideas, so if you have them, please leave your comments! Thank you!

Eventfully Yours,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment