Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Fairmont Palliser Hotel - Calgary, CA

This will be one of three "reviews" of my recent hotel stays. I'm currently traveling through Canada right now, and have visited Calgary, am currently in Vancouver, and next week will be in Ottawa. Three different hotels - three different reviews. So far, so good.

The Fairmont Palliser is where I stayed when I was in Calgary. It was downtown in a pretty busy area, but the nice part about that was that when you went into the hotel, it was quiet, and you'd never know you were in the middle of a city.

The Fairmont had an antique feel to it. Walking in I felt as though I should be wearing a big, poofy dress and a wide brimmed hat like women do at the Kentucky Derby. Lots of gold, high ceilings, oriental carpets and decorative furniture in the lobby gave it quite the elegant look.

The rooms were also very glamorous. More gold, cream and deep red colors (and a king bed that I requested, to top it off). Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of my particular room, but this one is from the website and is surprisingly very accurate (I find I'm often fooled by hotel pictures on their website).


Hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. We had packages delivered to the hotel which turned out to be a nightmare due to customs, but the staff was more than willing to help us however they could in getting us these packages when we needed them.

It was a little pricey - breakfast for 2 cost almost $60. However, it seemed to be the trend in the area. Imagine New York City prices...maybe times 2. Luckily, I haven't had a bad bite of food yet, so it's been worth it.

For my first travel to Canada, I'm relatively please. Unfortunately I didn't get to explore Calgary at all, but off to Vancouver hopefully that will change.

Eventfully Yours,
Megan

1 comment: